Monday, December 1, 2008

Turkey and noodles - it was like manna from heaven!

Just had to share... I am working very hard to be a good steward of what we have so I am examining everything to be sure that it is being used to the greatest potential. Well, I will admit that I normally throw away my turkey carcass; I despise cutting/pulling the meat off the bones! I had already cut off the meat I would want for sandwiches but knew a lot of meat was left. I debated cooking the carcass down but really wasn't in the mood for turkey soup. After praying about it, I was blessed with the idea of turkey and noodles. So I cooked the carcass down and was blessed with nearly 3 quarts of wonderful broth and 4 cups of meat. I then used these for a wonderful batch of turkey and noodles - YUMMY!! What a wonderful blessing - just like manna from heaven!! I cannot begin to tell you how much I enjoyed that meal!


For those who might be curious to know how I cooked down my turkey or made the turkey and noodles, here you go:

I cooked down turkey carcass by putting it in my big stockpot and covering it with water. I then added a couple stalks of celery just cut in half, two handfuls of mini carrots, a third of an onion, and then some poultry seasoning and black pepper. After it was at a slow boil, I put the lid on the pan, reduced the heat to medium and let it cook for approx. 2 hours. Once cooled down, I strained the stock from the solids (bones, meat, and veggies). I then put the stock in pitchers in the fridge. Finally, I then pulled the meat from the remaining solids and stored it in the fridge as well; the remaining solids were put in the trash.

For the turkey and noodles (a small batch), I put 5 cups of the yummy turkey broth and approx. 1/2 cup of sliced carrots into a pan and heated it to boiling. I then added half of 12 oz. package of Reames egg noodles (from the freezer section in the grocery store) and 1 cup of chopped turkey and covered it and let it cook until the noodles were done (25-30 minutes). Lastly, I mixed a tablespoon of cornstarch with a 1/4 cup of water, then slowly added that to the pan of broth and noodles just to thicken it up a bit. Then we dished it up and enjoyed our blessing!! YUM!!!

No comments: