Monday, March 16, 2009

Dinner (and cost) - 3/16/09

Hello!! Well, dinner at our house tonight is all about using up some of the odds and ends in the fridge. Since my "extras" include spaghetti sauce, cottage cheese, and salad fixin's, tonight's dinner will be: spaghetti pie, garlic bread and salad.
(Recipe for spaghetti pie at: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Spaghetti-Pie-4; I used jarred spaghetti sauce instead of making as they suggested, I also used regular cottage cheese and mozzerella cheese instead of the low-fat versions as that is what I had on hand)

Meal cost:
Speghetti pie:
spaghetti: $1.00
ground beef: $1.00
spaghetti sauce: $1.00
cottage cheese: $0.50
sour cream: $0.00 (free due to coupon; used this as I didn't have enough cottage cheese)
shredded cheese: $1.00
eggs: $0.25

garlic bread:
hot dog buns: $0.50 (manager special; makes great and cheap garlic bread under the broiler)
cheese: $0.50
margerine and garlic powder: $0.20

Salad:
romaine and iceburg lettuce: $1.25
cheese: $0.50
croutons: $0.30
dressing: $0.50

TOTAL COST: $8.49

We usually don't eat this much salad, but I thought I was getting a deal on the romaine lettuce at Target only to realize after the fact that I forgot to use my coupon - oops!!! Now that I have it I refuse to let it go to waste!!!

UPDATE: Dinner was AWESOME!!! Cool thing was that there is enough leftover for lunch on Wednesday! So, while the cost of dinner tonight was high, it will also serve as a whole other meal!!! WOOHOO!!!

No comments: