Monday, March 16, 2009

Cost of meals challenge

Hello friends! As some of you know I have been seriously couponing for just over a year and have built quite a stockpile (freezer and pantry). My struggle comes with planning meals. I have thought on this and prayed about it and the only thing I can come up with is that I get sick of the "same old meals" (and I have a family that prefers those "same old meals", so just making something new isn't always an option). It is this attitude (tossed in with some laziness at times) that has led us to eatting out more than we really should. I have even prayed that God would take away my desire for such junk but I still struggle. I have come to the conclusion that God has not taken away that desire because He wants me to have the self control to stay away from it. SIGH.... it would be so much easier if He would take care of it supernaturally! LOL!

Well, one thing I do on a regular basis is to roughly figure out the cost of our meals. (You can read a blog post where I detail a couple recent meal costs at: http://manystraits.blogspot.com/2009/02/frugal-dinners.html.) As I have been looking at the cost of our meals (usually between $5-$8 to feed my family of 7 - 2 adults and 5 kids ages 7 and under), I feel the Spirit telling me that my low meal costs (due to coupon shopping) should be my motivation to eat at home and be a better steward of our finances. Calculating that we all eat a good, wel-balanced meal with little giong to waste for $7 compared to grabbing junk from a local drive-through for $27 where too much gets thrown away really helps to keep things in perspective.

So, in light of that, I have decided that I am going to try to post my meals and meal costs daily (or at least several times a week). If you would like to follow me in this quest, I would love your encouragement and accountability. You can even join me in this quest by posting comments to share your meal costs or struggles with meal planning, etc.

Many Blessings and Happy Savings,
Amy

No comments: